Buying Terrapin Supplies
One thing that is not always easy, especially if you live in the UK, is finding stores that sell good terrapin equipment and supplies.
Many times I have visited my local pet store only to find they have a very limited stock of terrapin supplies.
Food is one of the areas I always struggle in, most pet stores I have visited only stock the smallest food tubs, which is ok in an emergency but my terrapins are too large and get through small tubs in a matter of days.
Another area you may struggle in is finding suitable terrapin aquarium equipment, for example, a basking area. In fact, I have found that the best place to buy terrapin supplies is online.
Online shopping is so much better than it used to be and a great way to buy terrapin supplies and equipment and I order most of my terrapin things online now. I have done it many times without any problems and the shipping is normally quite reasonable.
With this in mind here are my top 5 rated terrapin products available online:
Floating Basking Platform
I’ve tried many platforms over the years. Most are either hard to clean, have surfaces that gradually break down and get ingested by the terrapin (artificial grass, we are looking at you!), or just don’t stick properly. This is the first one I’ve been truly happy with:
- 🐢 New turtle bank floating basking platform (24 x 20 cm)
- 🐢 Suitable for small size turtles, salamanders, ceratophrys, terrapins and other aquatic pets
- 🐢 Platform with inclined ramp provides your pet rest, playing and feeding
Covered Aquarium Heater
Previously I had a glass heater and then a separate cover that just seemed to attract all the algae and was a nightmare to keep clean. This one comes as a single unit and seems to almost clean itself. Plus, it keeps the water at a nice even temperature.
- Safe: We adopt 2mm thickened explosion-proof glass, 33% thicker than normal aquarium heaters, more durable, much safer for both human and animals.
- Double Protection: Protective cover wrapping the heater tube, triangle streamlined design, full of modernity, not only double safety, but also space-saving and beautiful in your aquarium.
- Easy to Set Temperature: After set the temp you want, due to the automatic switch device and temperature detection system, aquarium heater will turn off automatically when its temp reaches your pre-set, also will turn on when lower than it, safe and easy adjustment.
Reptisafe Water Conditioner
If you top up your terrapin tank with tap water, you need to treat it to remove all the added chemicals such as chlorine. I’ve been using Reptisafe since I got my first terrapin in 1999 and it’s never let me down.
- water treatment
- reptiles, turtle, lizard, arachnids
- Water conditioner
Supa Turtle Food
Terry the terrapin loves this food because it has a good mix of food sticks and dried fish and shrimp. There are good proportions of the two, which helps give a healthy, balanced diet. Plus, it’s exceptionally good value for money when compared to most other branded feeds.
- Supa Turtle Food 1 Litre (Pack of 1) is a nutritionally balanced and delicious turtle food.
- Best fed as a complementary food in conjunction with freshly prepared foods.
- The Turtle Food contains only the highest quality natural ingredients: River Shrimp, Shrimp Flakes, Gammarus & Freeze Dried Tubifex.
It’s always handy to have a small separate tank. Firstly, you can use it to feed your terrapin in and help keep the main living tank water much cleaner for longer. Secondly, it’s perfect for storing your terrapin while you are cleaning (or running emergency repairs!) to its main tank.
However, the main use I’ve found for it is when you need to transport the terrapin. Whether it’s to the vet, a new house, or anywhere else, a few scrunched-up balls of newspaper soaked in warm water will keep your terrapin safe during the journey.
- Multifunction plastic container for small animals, can also be used as fish aquarium, terrarium or turtle tank
- It can also accommodate insects, ideal as a temporary home in case of maintenance and cleaning of usual accommodation, Very useful also when you want to take your pet with you on a trip
- The large and deep tank is made of strong transparent plastic, ensuring good visibility of the animal inside, it can be filled with litter in case of small animals such as rodents
Wherever you decide to shop for your terrapin supplies make sure that the product you buy is suitable for your type of terrapin. Happy Shopping!
Would you love to adopt a terrapin?
If you would love to give a good home to a poor unwanted pet terrapin, check out our complete terrapin guide – the complete handbook on everything you need to know about looking after your very own pet terrapin.